Mesquite, TX – October 27, 2021 – The Mesquite Police Department and Mesquite Fire Department are offering safety tips to help you keep you and your little monsters safe this Halloween. As residents set up decorations, prepare for trick-or-treating and make plans to celebrate the holiday, they should consider the following safety tips.
Homeowners who want to demonstrate their Halloween spirit by decorating homes or yards should:
- Use a battery-operated candle or glow-stick in jack-o-lanterns.
- Teach children to stay away from open flames including jack-o-lanterns with candles in them.
- Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper catch fire easily, Keep all decorations away from open flames and other heat sources like lightbulbs and heaters.
- Remember to keep exits clear of decorations so nothing blocks escape routes. Make sure all smoke alarms in the home are working.
When choosing costumes for kids, follow these tips:
- Stay away from long trailing fabric.
- If wearing masks, ensure the eye holes are large enough to see.
- Provide flashlights to carry for lighting or glow sticks as part of kid’s costumes.
- Wear light colors or put reflective tape on costumes.
Halloween fun and preparedness doesn’t have an age limit. Adults should remember these tips as well:
- Don’t get behind the wheel if you’ve been drinking.
- Remove all distractions and stay off your phone.
- Carefully enter and exit alleys and driveways.
- Slow down when you are near pedestrians as children may suddenly dart into your path.