Become a Firefighter
Are you ready to join the Mesquite Fire Department family?
Qualified Firefighter-Paramedics may now be considered for lateral transfer to MFD through the annual application process. See program details below.
Requirements to Become a Mesquite Firefighter
To become a Mesquite Firefighter, you must be:
- A U.S. Citizen.
- At least 21 years of age on the day of the entrance exam, but no older than 35 years of age on the date of hire.
Candidates must either:
- Have successfully completed 30 hours of college credit from an accredited college or university in any subject; OR
- Have completed two years of active military service with an honorable discharge.
College Credit Requirements
- Candidates must qualify for admission to the Emergency Medical Service Training Program chosen by the Mesquite Fire Department.
- Developmental/remedial courses are not accepted.
- Grades lower than "C" are not accepted.
- A letter grade of "P" will be accepted.
- Vision: A candidate’s vision must be correctable to 20/30, and with no color blindness.
- Hearing: Candidates may not be certified as eligible if audiometric testing shows average hearing loss in their unaided better ear greater than 40 decibels (dB) at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, and 2000 Hz when the audiometric device is calibrated to ANSI Z24.5.
- Candidates must be mentally alert, have the ability to get along well with others, have a willingness to perform assigned duties and responsibilities, be conscientious and dependable and in excellent physical condition.
- Candidates must posses a valid Texas Class A or B Driver’s License (upon assignment) and meet City driving requirements. Candidates must pass a qualifying physical agility and medical examination, including drug testing.
- Drug usage may be a disqualification, depending on the substance used and frequency of use.
*An “accredited college or university” is an institution of higher education that is accredited by one of the following agencies: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges or Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Coursework from a foreign college or university will also be accepted after being reviewed by an agency that is certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) to determine the course taken, credit received and letter grade earned.
Minimum requirements are set forth by the Civil Service Commission and are subject to change.
Base Salary (Effective April 1, 2023)
- $71,704.51 per year starting
- $75,289.52 per year after two years of service
- $79,060.13 per year after three years of service
- $83,002.35 per year after four years of service
- $87,162.60 per year after five years of service
- $91,520.73 per year after six years of service
- Life Insurance
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- 11 Paid Holidays/Year
- Three Weeks Paid Vacation/Year
- Sick Leave
- Texas Municipal Retirement System and Social Security
- Longevity Pay
- Certification Pay
- Bilingual Pay
- Educational Incentive
Lateral Transfer Program for Qualified Firefighter-Paramedics
Ranks above firefighter are not eligible for lateral transfer.
- Shall successfully complete each step in the Fire Department Civil Service hiring process in the same manner as any other applicant, and have satisfactorily completed all entry-level testing, examination, background investigation, and reviews required for original appointment.
- Must have a current Texas Commission on Fire Protection Basic “Structural Firefighter” certification and a Texas Department of State Health Services EMT-Paramedic certification/license.
- Must have at least one (1) year of service as a paid, full-time certified firefighter and paramedic.
- Must have been employed as a firefighter and paramedic within the past 12-months prior to the date of the application to the Mesquite Fire Department and must have left their agency in good standing.
- Must successfully complete a probationary period of twelve (12) months beginning on the date of employment as a Mesquite Fire Department Firefighter. The probationary period may be extended to eighteen (18) months if deemed necessary by the Fire Chief for the completed of additional training, education or experience required of similarly situated firefighters.
- Must not have been dismissed or absent from public service for any misconduct, including unauthorized absence from duty, during the 5-year period prior to the date of entry examination.
- Must be able to fully account for all periods of unemployment.
- Must have received an honorable discharge from military service, if applicable.
- Must be approved by the Fire Chief to participate in the Lateral Entry Program at his/her sole discretion.
Documents Required with Application
Candidates passing the minimum qualifications and supplemental questions on the online application will receive an email from the Human Resources Department with further instructions and a deadline to submit the following required documents:
- An official college transcript that reflects 30 college semester hours
- Transcript submitted must be an official copy. Photocopies will not be accepted.
- Transcript must show courses taken, letter grades received, and credit hours earned.
- DD-214 Military Discharge Document, Member-4 Page (if applicable)