Become a Firefighter
|December 1, 2016||Application Period Opens|
|January 27, 2017||Last Day to Submit Applications|
|February 3, 2017||Deadline to Submit Required Documents
(official college transcripts and DD214, if applicable)
|February 18, 2017||Written Entrance Exam|
|March 24-25, 2017||Practice Dates for Physical Ability Test
(successful candidates will receive an invitation)
|April 1, 2017||Physical Ability Testing
(by invitation only)
|April 8, 2017||Inclement Weather Alternate Date for Physical Ability Testing|
Candidates must have completed a minimum of either:
- Sixty (60) semester hours of college credit in general subjects from an accredited college or university*, or
- Two (2) years of active military service with an honorable discharge plus 30 semester hours of college credit in any subject from an accredited college or university*
- Developmental/remedial courses are not accepted
- Grades lower than "C" are not accepted
- A letter grade of "P" will be accepted
- Vision: A candidate’s vision must be at least 20/100 uncorrected, correctable to 20/30, and with no color blindness.
- Hearing: Candidates may not be certified as eligible if audiometric testing shows average hearing loss in their unaided better ear greater than 40 decibels (dB) at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz, and 2000 Hz when the audiometric device is calibrated to ANSI Z24.5.
- Candidates must be mentally alert, have the ability to get along well with others, have a willingness to perform assigned duties and responsibilities, be conscientious and dependable and in excellent physical condition.
- Candidates must possess a valid Texas Class A or B Driver’s License (upon assignment) and meet City driving requirements. Candidates must pass a qualifying physical agility and medical examination, including drug testing.
- Drug usage may be a disqualification, depending on the substance used and frequency of use.
*An “accredited college or university” is an institution of higher education that is accredited by one of the following agencies: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges or Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Coursework from a foreign college or university will also be accepted after being reviewed by an agency that is certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) to determine the course taken, credit received and letter grade earned.
Minimum requirements are set forth by the Civil Service Commission and are subject to change.
- $58,639.68 per year starting
- $61,568.52 per year after one year of service
- $64,646.76 per year after two years of service
- $67,884.36 per year after three years of service
- $71,269.32 per year after four years of service
- $74,841.48 per year after five years of service
- Life Insurance
- Hospitalization and Major Medical Insurance
- Three Weeks Paid Vacation Yearly
- Sick Leave
- Texas Municipal Retirement System and Social Security
In addition to a completed online employment application, all applicants must submit the following:
- College Transcript:
- Transcripts submitted must be official copies. Photocopies will not be accepted.
- Transcripts must show courses taken, letter grades received and credit hours earned.
- DD-214 Military Discharge Document, Member-4 Page (if applicable)