Historic Mesquite, Inc.
Find Us On Facebook
Like Historic Mesquite on Facebook.
About Historic Mesquite, Inc.
- HMI is a nonprofit [IRS 501 (c)(3)], tax exempt organization dedicated to the preservation of and education about Mesquite history.
- The organization is governed by a Board of Directors, who serve 3-year terms and can be re-appointed to an additional term.
- HMI meetings are held once a month, normally on the fourth Tuesday. Call 972-216-6468 or 972-329-8529 for more information.
- Other projects include:
- Restoration of S.D. Lawrence house at Opal Lawrence Historical Park
- Raising public awareness on historical preservation issues
- Providing an educational speakers bureau
- Writing historical marker applications
- Continuing involvement with state and national preservation institutions
- Memberships are available at different levels. All fundraising efforts go towards maintenance and restoration of historical properties and to a sustaining trust fund for the properties.
Mesquite, TX…Historic Mesquite, Inc. (HMI) is gearing up for its 5th annual Treasures Barn Sale with some added features to celebrate the organization’s 20th year in existence.
“We’re going to spice things up a bit this year,” Janice Houston, chairman, said. “First of all, we’re going to invite vendors back again since they were a big hit last year. Then, we’re going to add to our preview party as well. This year, we’ll have a ‘barn bash’ to kick off the annual event.”
Just as in the past, HMI board directors are accepting donations now for the barn sale – clothing, antiques, kitchen supplies, picture frames, etc. Already, some furniture and home décor have been secured. And, as a non-profit, the organization is able to give tax receipts to all donors.
“We have set times where people can bring their items over to the barn at their convenience,” Houston said. “But, we’ll also be accepting items during the week when staff are at the office as well as at our open houses, the fourth Saturdays of the month, in August and September.”
Drop-off schedule is 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Aug. 27 and Sept. 24; 5 to 7 p.m., Sept. 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29; 10 a.m. to noon, Sept. 10, 17 and Oct. 1.
The Treasures Barn Sale itself is set for 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Oct. 14 and 15, at Lawrence Park, 711 E. Kearney St. The Barn Bash preview party is planned from 6 to 8:30 p.m., Oct. 13, and will include food and drink, live and silent auctions, entertainment and first choice of the barn sale items. Because we will have to expand this year to the outside of the barn, we will sell up to 100 tickets, rather than the usual 60. Tickets, which will be $20, will go on sale Sept. 12.
Any craft vendor interested in joining can download the application HERE. Cost is $30 and is for the Saturday, Oct. 15, date only. For any questions about the vendor space, call the office for direction to the vendor coordinator, Judi Koreen.
At this time, the board is working on additional activities, which will be announced as they are finalized. Watch the website, Facebook and other media outlets for further information.
All proceeds from the barn sale will go towards the restoration of remaining buildings at the park, including the New Hope Church, the root cellar/smoke house and the mule barn.
For more information, call HMI at (972) 216-6468 or e-mail at [email protected]. Follow us on Facebook.