Mesquite, TX – June 22, 2021 – As a part of its new Clean City Initiative, the Mesquite City Council approved new requirements for its solid waste customers that go into effect October 1, which include trash being secured in trash bags within an approved trash container, specific times on when the trash can be set out for collection, and limits on bulky items. Those customers placing trash out not in compliance with the new rules will be assessed a variety of administrative fees depending on the violation.
City Manager Cliff Keheley said, “A resident’s trash and the way we pick it up is one of the most personal services we provide to our citizens. But in order to improve our overall community appearance, we need their help. Our citizens must properly secure their trash and place it out at specific times for our staff to collect it to avoid spillage, scattered trash and adding more litter in our city.” Keheley elaborated that the limits on bulky items will not be applied to yard waste collection services.
The city plans a broad education program to the community before the enforcement of the new requirements go into effect October 1. Those in violation would begin to see additional administrative fees added to their water utility bill in November, which is how the city charges for solid waste services. Photographic evidence of the violation will be provided for those fees.
Keheley said, “These changes will not only help us control loose trash that impacts the cleanliness of our community, but it aids our solid waste employees in operating in a safer and more efficient work environment.” The specific revisions to the city’s Solid Waste Ordinance approved by the City Council at their June 21 meeting include:
- Requires all trash to be secured in bags between 13 to 32 gallons in size. Loose items placed on or around the bags(s) will not be allowed. The administrative fee for this service is $6.
- Requires all trash be placed in authorized containers not larger than 48 gallons. Loose trash placed in the container will not be allowed. The administrative fee for this service is $6.
- Limits trash and recyclables to be placed out for collection no earlier than 5:30 p.m. the day before scheduled pickup and no later than 7:30 a.m. the day of scheduled pickup. The administrative fee for this service is $6.
- Limits large items, appliances, and bulk trash to be placed out for collection no earlier than 24 hours prior to scheduled collection day. This does not apply to yard waste and brush collection. The administrative fee for this service is $6.
- Limits all bulk trash placed for collection to under eight cubic yards, which should fit into an area measured 5 feet tall by 4 feet deep by 11 feet long. This does not apply to yard waste and brush collection. The administrative fee for this service or for a special bulk pick-up request is $20.
Mesquite’s Clean City Initiative was launched in April 2021. It is a program that combines the efforts of several city departments and programs into a unified strategy to improve the appearance of the community. The initiative combines the efforts of Keep Mesquite Beautiful, Mesquite Parks and Recreation, Environmental Code and Solid Waste to promote litter prevention, beautification projects and improved regulations.