Mesquite, TX – June 10, 2021 – Mesquite continues to live up to its brand identity of “Real. Texas. Flavor.” with the recent changes to its ordinances that govern zoning and food establishments that now will allow for mobile food trucks to operate at a variety of locations throughout the city.
On June 7 the Mesquite City Council approved an ordinance amending the Mesquite Zoning Ordinance, amending Chapter 8 of the Mesquite City Code, providing additional updates to the operation and health permitting of various types of Mobile Food Units (MFU) and incorporating an MFU-Operation Site Approval process.
Beginning Monday, June 14, food truck operators can begin applying for an annual $300 permit through the city’s Health Division at 972-216-8138. As a part of the application process, operators will be required to provide a planned itinerary of the operation locations for the year. Jeff Armstrong, Director Of Planning And Development Services, said, “The schedule of anticipated locations will allow our health inspectors to know where they might be located to conduct inspections, but it will also allow us to post their probable locations to help with promotions.”
Armstrong elaborated that this process is for self-contained food operations, with all the required health safety amenities within the vehicle and not for grills and or smokers pulled on a trailer.
Registered food truck operations will be allowed under one of the five following scenarios:
- As an approved food vendor at city special events.
- As an approved food vendor in the downtown area on Front Street Station for activities like the new Downtown Mesquite Farmers Market.
- As an approved food vendor at community events in which the organizer has included the operation of food trucks in their city special event permit application.
- As an approved participant in a city-approved food truck park, in which the main purpose of the park is the operation of mobile food units. The park owner would need to provide various amenities for customers, including restroom facilities and trash receptacles.
- As an approved food vendor at a private business location, in which the property owner has obtained a city operation site permit. The operation site permit fees for the property owner are $75 for 1 - 7 days, $100 for 8 - 31 days, $150 for 1 - 3 months and $200 for 3 - 6 months.
Armstrong stated, “The city is excited about this opportunity for food vendors to do business in Mesquite in a variety of new ways, in a safe, healthy and organized manner.”