Mesquite, TX – November 13, 2020 – The City of Mesquite held a swearing in ceremony for new Municipal Court Judge Detra Hill. Judge Hill becomes the first female presiding municipal court judge in the history of Mesquite. Hill was appointed on Oct. 19 by the Mesquite City Council. She has served as Assistant City Attorney since 2014.
Hill said, “I am delighted to have this opportunity to serve the Mesquite community in this role. It will be an honor and privilege, and a responsibility I will not take lightly. I want to thank Judge Crane for leadership and guidance that led me to this day.” Current Municipal Court Judge, Steve Crane, announced his retirement earlier this year.
At the time of her appointment, Mayor Bruce Archer, stated, “Detra is a proven leader. Her experience as a long time prosecutor with a reputation of being tough on crime along with having clerked for a federal judge will be a great asset to our municipal court. Indeed, Detra Hill has the background and experience to forge a new chapter in the history of our city. She will be vigilant to insure fair and impartial administration of justice for all the people of Mesquite. ”
Hill earned a Juris Doctorate degree in 1986 from the University of Houston Law Center. She also received her undergraduate degree from the University of Houston and graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. Hill was the previous Assistant City Attorney for 14 years in the City Attorney’s Office for the City of Dallas. She is an active member of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., which is an organization of college educated women committed to the constructive development of its members and to public service with a primary focus on the Black community. She also serves on the board for Making Chemo Bearable, a non-profit cancer support organization.
The history of municipal judges in Mesquite appointed by the City Council is:
- Detra Hill - Appointed by Council on October 19, 2020 effective November 13, 2020 and sworn in on November 13, 2020
- Stephen C. Crane - Appointed by Council on March 15, 2010 effective April 1, 2010 and sworn in on April 1, 2010
- David B. Rosen - Appointed by Council on March 7, 1988, sworn in on March 14, 1988 and served until March 31, 2010
- George A. Boyce - Appointed by Council on September 10, 1981, sworn in on September 10, 1981 and served until December 1987
- Curt Austin - Appointed by Council on July 20, 1959, effective August 1, 1959 and served until June 1981
- Robert E. White - Appointed by Council on September 6, 1955 and served until July 1959