Mesquite, TX – July 20, 2020 – With a recent trend across Texas in the theft of newer General Motors vehicles, the Mesquite Police Department has launched a public awareness campaign to help educate the community on auto theft prevention tips.
Mesquite Police Chief Charles Cato said, “This newest wave of auto thefts in the state seem to be targeting GM trucks and SUVs from 2014 to 2020 that are not equipped with a smart key device.” Cato shared that he hopes the community takes the time to learn more about the simple steps they can take to secure their vehicles from possible theft.
The department has produced a new video PSA in English and Spanish and has launched a new webpage with these tips to help prevent vehicle thefts/burglaries:
- Always lock your vehicle and take your keys.
- Never leave your car running and unattended.
- Park in a well-lit area in public places and park inside an enclosed area or garage while at home.
- Keep valuables out of sight.
- If your vehicle is not equipped with one from the factory, install an aftermarket alarm or anti-theft device. Many insurance companies may give you a discount for certain anti-theft devices. Check with your agent for details.
If your vehicle is stolen, the first thing to do is to remain calm and call 972-285-6336 if the theft is delayed or 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency. Make sure you provide your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) number or license plate number to help MPD and other law enforcement agencies locate your vehicle. Remember to report the theft or burglary to your insurance provider and to contact your financial institution if the vehicle is leased or still being financed.
Visit www.cityofmesquite.com/AutoTheftPrevention to watch the video PSAs and for more information about how to prevent theft of your vehicle.