Mesquite, TX – August 16, 2022 – The City of Mesquite approved the 2022-23 Budget at its August 15 meeting which includes a tax rate of .65814. This tax rate is 5 cents below the current tax rate.
“This budget reflects the input from our citizens which includes improved public safety, street repairs and a vibrant economy. We are able to do this while setting a tax rate that is competitive with other cities in the area,” said Daniel Alemán Jr. “We are a growing city and an aging city with many needs. This budget will help us move forward in a number of areas.”
The total $306.7 million budget includes:
- A 3% salary increase for all employees and additional funding for market adjustments for competitive pay;
- Nine additional firefighter positions for a future fire station;
- Two additional police officers including an additional School Resource Officer for Horn High School;
- A bilingual communications position; and
- Additional staffing for Economic Development, Municipal Court, Public Safety Dispatch, Solid Waste, Parks Maintenance and Code Enforcement.
The budget will also include additional funding for roadway, park, and public safety projects to accelerate the timeline for several much-needed projects. More information about the budget and city finances can be found at www.cityofmesquite.com/Budget.