Police Explorer Program
Mesquite Police Explorer Post #145
The Mesquite Police Department sponsors Police Explorer Post #145. Initial membership requirements:
- Minimum age of 14 years and have completed the 8th grade
- Maximum age cannot have reached the 21st birthday prior to application. If registered prior to their 21st birthday, may continue until their 22nd birthday at the discretion of the Explorer coordinator.
- Must reside in Mesquite or surrounding cities within Dallas, Kaufman or other near counties. Applicant must be a student in the Mesquite Independent School District or other approved district or be a member of the immediate family of an employee of the City of Mesquite.
Exploring has four specific goals:
- Gain practical experience and exposure to law enforcement
- Engage in program activities emphasizing:
- Career opportunities
- Life skills
- Character education
- Learning in a caring and fun environment
Participation in Police Exploring includes activities such as:
- Class-room instruction on various aspects of the law, legal system, and police practices
- Role-playing in police-based scenarios
- Community service opportunities
- Team building
- Competition with other Explorer Posts
- Ride-alongs with officers
RequirementsFormal uniforms are provided by the Mesquite Police Department; however, each explorer is asked to purchase their own pair of black boots. Uniforms are the property of the explorer and consist of:
- BDU trousers
- Name tag and epaulets
- Black uniform boots
- Duty Belt
Application ProcessParticipants must submit a completed application and contact form between August 18, 2023 and September 30, 2023. They must meet the following qualifications:
- Have at least a C average for all classes and maintain a C average while participating in the program.
- Pass a background check (conducted on all explorer applicants).
- Applicants must be in good health and physical condition consistent with department requirements
- Must provide proof of annual medical record form (once accepted into the program)
- Applications must be returned in whole. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.