Parks Master Plan
Welcome to the official webpage of the City of Mesquite's Parks, Recreation, and Open Space Master Plan. Use this page as a tool for all the updates, timelines, opportunities to offer feedback and more.
The last comprehensive plan to benefit the Parks and Recreation Department was a master trails plan, completed in 2008. An all-inclusive plan has never been developed for the department and with the new growth occurring, now is an ideal time to complete this project.
Our parks, trails and recreation facilities are important to the City of Mesquite's character and quality of life, and we recognize their draw for residents, business owners and visitors alike. Through the master plan process, outside consultants, Dunaway and Associates, will provide an assessment of current and future facility and program needs, evaluate feasible options, develop a strategic action plan, and provide budget information for long-term or phased-in development and improvements. This plan will result in a working document that can actively be used to guide the future of the department for approximately the next 10 years.
The scope of services that Dunaway and Associates will provide includes the following:
- Mapping and inventory analysis of current parks, facilities, and open space
- Population analysis and demographic trends
- Benchmark analysis of peer cities in Texas
- Standards analysis based on National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA) and DFW regional guidelines
- Recreation program analysis of current offerings and possible enhancements
- Maintenance operation analysis of current staffing levels