Proposed Engineering Design Manual
Public Comment Period Has Ended
Click here to view comments received and staff responses
On September 18, 2017 the City Council authorized Kimley-Horn to assist the Public Works Department in the development of an Engineering Design Manual. The goal of this process was to produce a comprehensive manual for infrastructure design and construction that would enhance the City’s development and capital improvement process by ensuring the requirements are consistent throughout the City and that the design of elements will best serve the long-term needs of the City.
The Department has undertaken this task with the following goals in mind:
- Provide a user-friendly set of standards to govern infrastructure and land development
- Increase clarification of existing design and construction policies, standards, and criteria
- Address design and construction policies not currently covered. Include new standards and materials
- Improve the function and service life of public infrastructure
Currently, the department has design requirements and guidelines for infrastructure spread out over a variety of places including ordinances, standard details, individual policy documents, checklists, etc. Staff is proposing to update and/or replace the existing documents and ordinances to conform to the Engineering Design Manual. This will aid in the development process by consolidating requirements to one location which will be easier for the developer/designer to reference and to help ensure requirements are consistent throughout by creating one document to house all infrastructure requirements.
The draft manual is divided into eight (8) main sections and seven (7) appendices that will provide comprehensive guidance on designing and constructing infrastructure within the City of Mesquite.
The proposed sections are as follows:
- Section 1: General Design Requirements
- Section 2: Roadway and Traffic Design Requirements
- Section 3: Drainage Design Requirements
- Section 4: General Utility Requirements
- Section 5: Water Design Requirements
- Section 6: Wastewater Design Requirements
- Section 7: Structural Design Requirements
- Section 8: Landscape and Irrigation Design Requirements
- Appendix A: Definitions and Abbreviations
- Appendix B: Checklists
- Appendix C: Construction General Notes
- Appendix D: Standard Details
- Appendix E: Approved Material Lists
- Appendix F: Miscellaneous Reference Documents
- Appendix G: Technical Specifications
Comments received during the comment period will be evaluated and responses are planned to be posted on the website by March 15, 2019. City staff are planning to brief City Council on the proposed Engineering Design Manual at their regular meeting on March 18, 2019 and plan to formally adopt the manual at the April 15, 2019 City Council meeting. The department is concurrently working on proposed revisions to the City Ordinances to match the requirements detailed in the draft manual which will be presented for adoption at the same time as the Engineering Design Manual.
Should you have any questions regarding the draft design manual, please email [email protected] or call Christina Hickey at (972) 216-6432.
Thank you for your interest!