November 19, 2018 - Presentation of Revised Maps
Here are the documents and video links to learn more about the revised maps presented and discussed at the November 19, 2018 City Council meeting.
November 5, 2018 - Presentation of Revised Maps
Here are the documents and video links to learn more about the revised maps presented and discussed at the November 5, 2018 City Council meeting.
The Mesquite City Council is in the process transitioning the system for electing the City's six Councilmembers to a single member district system. Read how the public can comment on the proposed plans or submit their own proposed plan. Listen to Mayor Stan Pickett discuss the process on KEOM's Community Focus radio show.
Here are links to large, draft Illustrative Plan maps presented at October 16 and 18 public input meetings:
- Overall map of all 6 districts
- Map of District 1
- Map of District 2
- Map of District 3
- Map of District 4
- Map of District 5
- Map of District 6
The City Council will seek public comment and input during the process to create a redistricting plan. Here are key dates in the process.
- September 17, Present illustrative (draft) plan to City Council at City Council Meeting, City Hall, 757 N. Galloway Ave.
- October 16, Public Input Meeting, 7 p.m., Florence Recreation Center, 2501 Whitson Way, Mesquite, TX 75150
- October 18, Public Input Meeting, 7 p.m., Rutherford Senior Center, 900 Rutherford Dr, Mesquite, TX 75149
- November 19, Finalize and adopt plan at City Council Meeting, City Hall, 757 N. Galloway Ave.
- July 20, First day for candidates to file.
- August 19, Last day for candidates to file.
- November 5, Election Day
These are the steps for the public to submit comments on the current proposed redistricting plan (Illustrative Plan 1) presented at the September 17 City Council Meeting and/or to submit their own proposed redistricting plan:
- Submit all comments and proposed plans to the City Secretary’s Office at 1515 N. Galloway Avenue, located in Municipal Center on the second floor. For more information, please call 972-216-6244.
- Submit comments and proposed plans in writing.
- Show all demographic and racial categories based upon the 2010 Census or, if possible, updated data developed by the City.
- Plans should redistrict the entire City of Mesquite.
- Comments and proposed plans must include person’s full name, home address, phone number and, if available, an email address.
- All comments and proposed plans must be submitted by the close of posted public hearings.
September 17, 2018 - City Council Meeting
Watch the presentation on the redistricting process to the City Council.
View the Illustrative Plan 1. (Draft of the proposed map)
Read RESOLUTION NO. 55-2018 A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF MESQUITE, TEXAS, DESIGNATING ILLUSTRATIVE REDISTRICTING PLAN(S) FOR PUBLIC HEARINGS; ESTABLISHING PUBLIC HEARING DATES; ADOPTING GUIDELINES FOR ALTERNATIVE PLANS SUBMITTED BY CITIZENS; AND PROVIDING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
August 27, 2018 Special City Council Work Session
Watch the City Council discuss the process and criteria for the redistricting plans.
View the presentation made to the City Council.
View the first proposed map of the redistricting process.
View a summary of the demographics of the first proposed redistricting map.