Town East Phase 2 - U.S. 80 to Skyline
Approved Design: After extensive input from the public at various meetings and surveys, City Council selected the option that the existing six-lane section road will be reconstructed as follows:
- Four-lane divided roadway section from Skyline Drive to Forney Road. This segment will also have an 8-foot high screening wall next to the residential homes, the roadway will shift away from the homes to provide a significantly larger buffer between the homes and new roadway and a 12-foot wide trail between the roadway and the screening wall.
- Forney Road to US 80 will remain a six-lane divided roadway.
- Both sections of roadway will have a heavy-duty reinforced concrete pavement designed to accommodate heavy truck traffic.
- In addition there will be extensive water, sanitary sewer and drainage improvements along the length of the project.
Project History and Public Input Process: At the beginning of the project in February of 2018, City staff publicized the upcoming project in numerous formats. Staff put signs in the neighborhood, posted information related to the project on multiple social media sites, and sent out over 1,100 letters and surveys to residents most affected by this project to notify them of the upcoming project. The intent of the notifications and surveys was to gauge citizen opinions related to the reconstruction project.
Timeline of the Public Notification Process:
- February 27, 2018 – Public Meeting at Rugel Elementary School
- First Survey Mailed to Residents
- April 16, 2018 – Public Input and Survey Presented to City Council
Two design options were presented at the Council Meeting. Based on the results from our traffic study, the evaluation of the data did not support the six-lane option. Staff listened to the citizen opinions, historical information and data, previous concerns regarding vibrations and noise with the lanes located directly behind their homes. All elements supported reducing lanes and moving the road away from the neighborhood. The new four-lane section south of Forney Road will be shifted to the west side of the right-of-way to provide the maximum buffer distance between the industrial traffic and the residential neighborhood. This shift will also allow the design to include a 12-foot wide multi-use pedestrian trail and an eight-foot screening wall to adjacent to the residential properties. The newly paved roadway will have a thick concrete pavement section to withstand the heavy truck traffic.
Tentative Schedule: Project is currently under design. Final design will be completed at the end of 2018 and construction should begin the first quarter of 2019. Estimated completion is Summer 2020. For further information or questions, please contact Corey Nesbit, PE, City Engineer, at 972-329-8535 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Options considered during the Public Input process - For reference only
Here are links for additional information on this project. Some files are large, and may take some time to download depending on the computer or mobile device being used.