Welcome to the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Program at your Mesquite PubIic Library! This fun and free program encourages you to read 1000 books with your child before he or she enters school. Spend time reading together every day. This helps develop important pre-reading skills that are a key to success in school. In addition, sharing books and stories is lots of fun!
Here are the steps to follow:
- Register your child at either Mesquite Public Library location, or register online by visiting the READsquared link on the Library’s web page and receive a free sign-up gift for your child at the library.
- Pick up your participation packet at either the Mesquite Main Library or the North Branch Library which includes your first reading log as well as a list of suggested books.
- Start reading and counting with your first book log. Books that are read to your child by others (at library storytime & at daycare) can also be counted.
- When you have finished 100 books, bring your reading log to the library.
- Receive a sticker for finishing a level & pick up your next log.
- Keep reading and sharing.
- Repeat steps 3-6 and receive a different log at each level.
- Receive a reward for achieving certain levels.
- At 100 books completed, your child receives a bright & colorful pencil.
- At 500 books completed, your child receives a book bag.
- At 1000 books completed, your child receives a book.
This program has no end date except when your child starts kindergarten. So, take every opportunity to read with your child, sing songs, share nursery rhymes, and attend programs at the library. Reading 3 books a day for one year equals 1095 books! Happy Reading!