Classifications of Food Establishments

Construction standards will be provided with the specific requirements for the following classes of food sales establishments:

Class I : Establishments involved with the preparation of potentially and non-potentially hazardous foods from scratch; including, but not limited to, full service restaurants, fast food restaurants, deli’s, bakeries, donut shops, sandwich shops and yogurt shops.
Manager Certification and Food Handler Cards are required.
Class II : Establishments serving open non-potentially or potentially hazardous foods such as hot dogs. These food establishments typically include convenience stores with hot dog sales, bulk candy stores, coffee shops and ice bagging operations.
Manager Certification and Food Handler Cards are required.
Class III : Establishments selling prepackaged product and non-potentially hazardous self serve beverages such as soft drinks, coffee, juices etc. Pre-made popcorn will be allowed. Food Handler Cards are required if any open product is sold.
Class IV : Bulk food sales and storage or warehouse operations including outdoor markets and freezer warehouse operations.
Class V : Supermarkets with meat markets, deli’s, or bakeries, including a facility which is a meat market only. Manager Certification is required for Deli, Bakery, and Meat Market managers. Food Handler Cards are required for all employees that handle open food product.
Class VI : Special Food Sales Permits:
  1. Incidental sales - as determined by the Health Authority (food sales are minor to the operation).
  2. Temporary permits ($75) - food establishments that operate at a fixed location for a period of time not to exceed fourteen consecutive days in conjunction with a single event.
  3. Seasonal permits - typically include food establishments located in a mall area on or around a holiday season.
  4. Catering trucks/Ice Cream Trucks
  5. Itinerant sales - the sale or conveyance of food by itinerant vendors (persons delivering previously ordered food).
Class VII : Day Cares - Limited to child care facilities where food product is prepared and served on premises.
Manager Certification and Food Handler Cards are required.