Supermarkets: meat and seafood markets, delis, bakeries, produce areas and general sales; meat markets and meat production plants.
A. Floor Surface Requirements:
- Meat cutting room, seafood market, deli, bakery: Floors shall be quarry tile, cement-based terrazzo tile, or equivalent floor covering as approved by the Health Authority, with a minimum four inch tile base.
- Produce preparation areas: Shall be sealed concrete or better.
- Dry food storage rooms: Floors shall be sealed concrete, vinyl tile or better, with a rubber cove base. (If dry storage area is located in the prep area or dishwash areas, or subject to excessive moisture, floors shall be as specified above for food prep areas.)
- Walk-in coolers with open product such as in the deli, bakery or meat market: Floors shall be quarry tile or an equivalent material as approved by the Health Authority. Walk-in coolers with all packaged products such as dairy and produce shall have floors of sealed concrete or better.
- Walk-in freezers: Floors shall be sealed concrete or better.
- Restroom facilities: Floors shall be quarry tile, ceramic tile, cement-based terrazzo tile, or an equivalent material as approved by the Health Authority, with a minimum four inch (4") tile base.>
- An approved sealer shall be required at all floor/wall interfaces.
B. Wall Surface Requirements:
- Meat cutting room, seafood market, deli, bakery and produce preparation area: Wall surfaces shall be Fiberglass Reinforced Polyester Panels (FRP) or equivalent to height of eight feet (8') minimum, and sealed at floor-wall interface.
- Dry storage area: Wall surfaces shall be smooth, easily-cleanable, and washable.
- Walk-in coolers and freezers: Shall have smooth, easily cleanable walls capable of withstanding effects of low temperature and moisture (baked-on enamel coated steel, FRP, or equivalent).
- Restrooms: Walls shall have FRP panels, ceramic tile, or equivalent, to a height of four feet (4') minimum, sealed at floor-wall interface. Walls above paneling shall be smooth, light-colored, and washable.
C. Ceiling Surface Requirements:
Food preparation ie. meat cutting room, seafood market, deli, bakery and produce preparation areas, utensil washing areas, dry food storage and all restroom ceilings shall be of light-color, smooth, relatively nonabsorbent, durable, and easily-cleanable. Examples of materials may be washable vinyl-coated gypsum drop-in panels, vinyl-coated panels, tape and bedded sheetrock with light-colored epoxy or gloss enamel paint or an equivalent material as approved by the Health Authority.
D. Floor Drain Requirements:
Floor drains shall be required in the following areas: All restrooms, dish wash areas, service area(s), bars, and food
preparation areas. A variance may be applied for regarding floor drains if no lapse in occupancy occurs between ownership
E. Grease Interceptor or Trap Requirements:
Grease interceptor or trap must be exterior to the facility. Grease interceptor or trap is to be sized by the number of plumbing fixtures as follows:
1 – 5 = 500 gallons
6 – 10 = 750 gallons
over 10 = 1,000 gallons
F. Sink and Dishwashing Requirements:
- A mop sink or curbed area with a floor drain shall be installed for the cleaning of mops or similar wet floor cleaning tools and disposal of mop water.
- Wall mounted handwash lavatories shall be installed and conveniently located in food preparation, service, and utensil washing areas. Conveniently located = located so as to be no more than twenty-five unobstructed feet from all food preparation and service areas.
- A handwash lavatory shall be in or immediately adjacent to each restroom facility.
- A free-standing, stainless steel, three-compartment sink with basins large enough to allow immersion of the largest utensil shall be installed in the deli, bakery, meat cutting room and seafood market. (If these departments are combined only one is necessary)
- Produce area: A free-standing stainless steel, two compartment sink.
G. Vermin Control Requirements:
Automatic air curtain insect control devices or equivalent shall be installed on all receiving doors except that truck/trailer type receiving doors, if properly sealed while trailer is in place, shall not require air curtain devices. All holes in walls and ceilings for pipes or conduits shall be sealed, and outside doors shall be tight fitting and sealed to prevent entry by insects and rodents.
H. Equipment Specifications and Requirements:
- All food contact surfaces shall be stainless steel, including areas where food is boxed or packaged.
- Shelving and racks in meat cutting room shall be non-corrosive metal.
- and racks in meat coolers shall be stainless steel, epoxy-coated non-corrosive metal or equivalent.
- Wood, particle board or formica shelves, cabinets, or tables shall not be allowed in food preparation areas.
- Shelving in food display and storage areas shall be epoxy or light colored enamel painted wood or better.
- All restrooms shall have self-closure devices on doors.
I. Ventilation Requirements:
- All restrooms shall have powered exhaust fans installed.
- Ventilation in food areas shall meet fire code requirements.
J. Lighting Requirements:
All light fixtures in food preparation, dishwashing and food service areas shall be equipped with protective covers.
K. Plan Review:
When a food establishment is hereafter constructed, extensively remodeled, changes ownership, significantly changes the menu as determined by the Health Authority, or when an existing structure is converted for use as a food establishment, properly prepared plans and specifications for such construction, remodeling, or alteration showing layout, arrangement,
and construction materials of work areas and the location, size, and types of fixed equipment and facilities shall be submitted to the Health Authority for approval before such work is begun. (One of the four sets of plans submitted to Building Inspection will be forwarded to the Health Inspection Division.)
L. Conditional Permit:
A conditional food establishment permit may be issued to the new owner of an existing food establishment pending completion of plan review requirements.
Food Service Managers:
A food service manager is required to be on duty during all hours of operation in all areas of food preparation; meat department, seafood department, deli, bakery ( this will often require the store to have more than one employee who is certified for each area ). The employee will need to attend a State approved course (offered by a private company) upon completion of this course they will receive a certificate of completion and then will register with the Health Inspection Division for a fee of $40.00.
Food Handler Cards:
All employees will be required to have a food handler's card within 30 days of their hire date. The food handlers class is conducted by the Health Inspection Division (contact our department for class times and dates 216-8138). We offer English and Spanish classes on a monthly basis. Employees who are not required to have food handler cards are cashiers, stockers and sackers (these employees should have no direct contact with open food product).