Economic activity continues to gain momentum in Mesquite. The number of inquiries for information and prospect visits have rebounded from the depths of the recession and leasing in major retail centers has reached an all-time high. Significant projects included:
- Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT), at the Mesquite Metro Airport was officially commissioned on February 6, 2014. Although the first month of operations consisted of severe weather, the traffic count for February was 4,502 operations. It is anticipated that the monthly traffic will increase, particularly corporate aircraft operations, once the publications for the airspace are in place by mid-April. The ATCT and airport management have already worked out training requests with one local cargo company, one itinerant flight school, and the locally based flight school.
- UPS LNG Fuel Station and Parking Lot Expansion, 3400 Samuel Blvd. United Parcel Service continues to be a leading employer and taxpayer in Mesquite and the expansion of its liquid natural gas fueling station and parking lot have been made in response to continued growth of its business in Mesquite.
- UPRR - Mesquite Support Yard Spur Track Expansion. The Union Pacific Railroad continues to expand its operations in Mesquite in both the inter-modal and the rail port sides of its business. A $75-million-dollar expansion of the facility is currently underway, which includes installing additional track into the yard and double tracking from the Mesquite facility into downtown Dallas. Acquisition of property surrounding the facility has continued and plans are being formulated to expand the double track project throughout Mesquite.
- Apple Grove Villas, 2160 Gus Thomasson Rd. A large multi-family development within the Towne Centre Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone.
- Chase Bank, 3611 Gus Thomasson Rd. A new branch bank.
- Chick-fil-A, 1600 Town East Blvd. One of the most successful restaurants in the company's portfolio completed a 4,686-square-foot remodeling of their store.
- Christian Center of Mesquite, Activity Building, 4401 E. Cartwright Rd. A 7,200-square-foot building within the large campus.
- First Choice Emergency Room, 3400 Gus Thomasson Rd. A 52,638-square-foot medical office building conversion of a former Blockbuster retail store.
- Gardner Telecom, 555 S. Town East Blvd. The Company built a new 7,200 -square-foot warehouse building to house its growing fleet of vehicles.
- Grubb Office Center, 301 Grubb Dr. A small speculative office building within the medical district.
- Herb Mart, 4611 Belt Line Rd. A 4,980-square-foot health food store.
- Lucas Farms, a master planned residential development of approximately 1,400 acres is under contract to a developer that was recognized as the largest residential developer in 2011 by the Dallas Business Journal.
- Park City Office Building, 5913 Dr. A speculative office building.
- Quik Trip, 4451 N. Galloway at IH-30. A fast growing company built its first Mesquite store.
- Ridge Ranch, a single-family housing development of approximately 700 homes is under contract to a developer and home builders expect to begin building homes later this year.
- Saifee Medical Park, 1210 N. Galloway Ave. A 5,722 square-foot medical office building in the middle of Mesquite's growing medical district.
- Taco Casa, 609 N. Galloway Ave. One of the most requested fast food restaurants built a new 2,873-square-foot building across the street from the new City Hall.
- Thommen America, a Swiss manufacturer of aircraft instruments and equipment, has leased an office and a hangar at the Mesquite Metro Airport to provide sales, marketing, and warranty work for newly manufactured aircraft as well as the retrofitting of existing aircraft.